Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Update's Update!

Alright, I bit the bullet and I am going back to the 2020 Aluminum Extrusion build:

A few reasons:

  • The 2020 Aluminum extrusions, I have already purchased and would drop the overall cost of the build by over 400 dollars.
  • I found Aluminum Corner brackets for the Kossel which will be significantly stiffer than anything I could possibly print and will hold up due to high temps
  • Also, secondly, the amount of design drops significantly and I only have to design new carriages, effector and bottom additive frame brackets versus, everything needing to be designed by myself.
  • It allows me to use Linear rails which will always run straight and will add significant stiffness to my build
  • I realized I do not really need 400mm build area, and that 300-350mm is more than sufficient
  • I realized the additional work to have belts run in the channels was not worth it for just mere aesthetic gain
  • My build is large enough that the effector will not run into the belts.
Now, the secondary issue is whether or not I should use an AC bed heater or just a DC bed heater, a AC bed heater will heat up much much faster, but requires an additional plug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment