Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Using ABS and PLA Supports

Short update for now:

I have been designing all of my parts and that has eaten up a lot of my time. More refinements as they come along.

I recently came across some data that has shown that PLA dissolves completely in NaOH. The example video recommended a ultrasonic cleaner at 60-80C. However, they start at around $300 dollars. Too pricey for me unfortunately, and unwieldy in size. I want to make my printer as multi-functional as possible.

I needed a heating element that could heat up a large beaker to at least 60C, and it dawned on me that my heated bed 400mm in diameter easily heats up past 110C which is more than enough. Next, I needed something that could agitate the solution and most commonly, chemistry labs use magnetic stirrers. From what I have researched in the D-I-Y community is that most people use computer fans connected up to a potentiometer. luckily enough, because my printer will be using a fan controller to control various fans, I can easily dedicate one to variably control my magnetic stirrer.

This opens many opportunities as I no longer have to rely on HIPS for soluble support and can use regular printing PLA. This increases the amount of colors I can use at any point in time and leaves prints extremely clean.

Will update the printer again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment